I’m a Software Engineer with broad experience working with technologies like Ruby on Rails, Docker, Kubernetes, and Amazon Web Services. My interests include programming, cloud infrastructure, and cybersecurity. I started this blog for fun and to share my knowledge.
Software Engineer IV @ Edmunds (2020-Present)
- Manage Edmunds’ cloud infrastructure on Amazon Web Services
- Began as Software Engineer III and was promoted to Software Engineer IV
- Assist developers with new application initiatives and infrastructure questions
- Reduced AWS costs in the six figures range using billing dashboard and Trusted Advisor to clean up unused resources
- Create and update AWS Service Catalog products that developers to deploy applications with ease
- Set up Spinnaker CI/CD on Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service and maintain YAML manifests
- Migrated SES email relays to dual region setup and set up Kibana, Elasticsearch, and SSO with Okta to view email logs.
- Deployed QA version of CCPA Requests serverless app that uses Lambdas, DynamoDB defined in Terraform
- Partake in 24/7 on-call duty to handle any production issues that may arise
- Set up New Relic for metrics monitoring on all NGINX nodes and set up a dashboard for observability.
- Create redirects to maintain edmunds.com SEO rankings with CloudFront and Lambda@Edge functions written in Python
- Developed and Deployed New Relic User Management Service with Python, API Gateway, Lambda, DynamoDB, and Okta.
- Use AWS Athena to query access logs and identify malicious IP addresses and exposed internal services
- Remediate security vulnerabilities across all infrastructure.
Junior DevOps Engineer @ Vitu (2019 - 2020)
- Self-taught Terraform, Kubernetes, and Google Cloud Platform
- Developed Terraform resources and modules to provision GCP infrastructure including: VPC networks, subnets, DNS, PostgreSQL databases, Redis stores, Linux virtual machines, and Kubernetes clusters
- Wrote Dockerfiles to containerize .NET Core, Vue.js, and Angular applications
- Created and managed Dev, Stage, and Production environments for several applications
- Defined and managed Kubernetes objects in YAML, including: Namespaces, Deployments, Secrets, Horizontal Pod Autoscalers, Services, Managed Certificates, and Ingresses
- Automated creation of Docker images and Kubernetes deployment using Google Cloud Build CI/CD
- Improved production deployment speed and reduced downtime associated with production changes
- Resolved production issues with databases, applications, and load balancers on a 24/7 basis
Software Engineering Intern @ Dollar Shave Club (2019)
- Used Ruby on Rails to refactor Collateral Injection service, which supports over 3 million customers
- Learned and applied Test-Driven Development using RSpec to deliver well-tested features
Software Engineer @ California State University, Northridge (2018 - 2019)
- Self-taught Ruby on Rails and began delivering production features within the first 2 months
- Led development of the National Center on Deafness web app, serving 30,000+ students and faculty
- Worked directly with customers in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver features
- Implemented LDAP authentication API successfully without interrupting live services
- Used New Relic to analyze and improve slow SQL queries, reducing multiple query times by 30-50%
- Deployed production changes to EC2 instances on Amazon Web Services on a weekly basis
- Wrote documentation for applications and trained incoming engineers
Programming/Scripting: Ruby, Python, Bash, Go
Databases: MySQL, SQLite 3, PostgreSQL
Infrastructure: Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, Serverless, CloudFormation, CI/CD (Google Cloud Build, GitHub Actions, Jenkins, Spinnaker)
Cloud: Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform
Operating Systems: Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS, Kali), MacOS, Windows 10
Other: Command Line, Agile/Scrum, Jira, Git, RSpec
California State University, Northridge
Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Technology (2019)
Simplified and community-driven “cheat sheet” for command line tools.
Contributed practical examples for the following commands:
Technology: Programming, DevOps/Infrastructure, Cybersecurity, Privacy
Hobbies: Videogames, Electric Guitar
Games: Elden Ring, Factorio, Red Dead Redemption 2, Stardew Valley, Halo
Shows: Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad, The Mandalorian, The Eric Andre Show, The Boys, Succession, Invincible, BoJack Horseman, Silicon Valley, The Boondocks
Music: I mainly listen to Death Metal and Black Metal. Check out my Bandcamp collection.